The desire to understand how learning happens, and how best to prepare kids for the world of the 21st century, drives my quest into serious games. Through 15 years as a STEM teacher (in a variety of schools and student populations), I increasingly dabbled in the classroom use of computer games & simulations; coupled with my previous career as a software developer, this experience gave me a multi-level perspective into the uses and limitations of educational software. More recently, I’ve been studying and teaching the design of serious games, promoting and facilitating the effective use of learning games, and helping to develop innovative new digital games and tools.
I’m on a mission to clear away obstacles to the effective use of DGBL, by helping to design, disseminate, and implement “seriously-great” games, authoring tools, and support structures.
Popular games played among my family:
- Wii (Sports, Mario, Skylanders, Just Dance)
- Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Exploding Kittens, Munchkin, and other tabletop games
- Mobile puzzles (The Room, Amazing Alex, Flow, etc)
But wait, there are more sides to me:
- Multi-lingual (Romanian, Spanish, French)
- Third-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do
- Penn & Teller fan
Find out more at my VisualCV
(Avatar courtesy of Michael Suen)